I recently bought Rachel a deck of pre-schooler Crazy 8 cards. Instead of using the traditional deck of cards, there are 8 categories with 6 cards in each category. Each card also has a different colour. You can either match category or colour, or play a Crazy Card to change the category. It's very fun. This is good since Rachel has been wanting to play almost non-stop since we got the cards!
One of the categories is bugs. Yesterday I saw a fly in the kitchen so I called out to Ben to come get rid of it. Rachel asked what I was doing, and I told her there was a fly in the kitchen. She went running to get the category card, yelling "Fly is in the bug category! I'll get the category card!"
When I asked her why she wanted to get the category card, she explained that she thought it would help Dad to catch the fly.
As an aside, she was reading most of the words on the category card. She doesn't really read phonetically for most things. I'd say that she recognizes letters and has memorized which letters are in different words. I'm constantly surprised by how literate she really is though.
No comments:
Post a Comment