Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Snow

Apparently we have some snow.  I'd say that as a conservative estimate, we've got something like four feet of snow on the ground in our neighbourhood.  I've detailed the storm in a little photo essay here:


A short list of closings and their significance:

Canada Post - There was no mail delivery Monday or Tuesday and I highly doubt that we'll get any on Wednesday.

Schools - THREE snow days in a row.  They even called the third one pre-emptively.  Prior to this, the last snow day was in December 2006 and the ones prior to that were in December 1977.  London really doesn't have snow days for anything less than a huge dump of snow in a short period of time.  UWO and Fanshawe even closed and cancelled classes & exams.  All of the snow dates have been right on or around December 7th.

Malls - Yes, the malls closed at 5 yesterday and at 1 today.  The mall near us isn't re-opening until noon tomorrow.

Transit - No buses tomorrow at all.  The London Transit Commission cancelled services as of this afternoon and won't resume until Thursday so that the city has a chance to get cleaned up.

Libraries, rec centres & all other city facilities are closed.  My bank has been closed for two days now too.  There have been many collisions but fortunately nothing serious so far that's been reported.

Our newspaper had the best headline ever.  "Why us? When will the @#&*(@$# stop?"  To get the humour and irony, you need to understand that this storm is only walloping London and the areas directly north of us.  Ben could have gone to Windsor on Monday because as soon as you get about 20 minutes west of London, there is NO snow.  The same went for the east until today when some snow started falling.  This storm is incredibly focused, with its epicentre near Lucan.  Lucan is about 20-30 minutes north of us and has had upwards of 144cm (close to 5 feet) of snow since Sunday.

The kids are loving the snow and I can't say that I'm complaining either!  I wanted snow and we sure have it now.  Mind you, I could probably do without the extra foot of snow that's supposed to arrive by tomorrow afternoon.  Our snow piles are almost all as tall or taller than me so it's getting harder to shovel.

I'm not sure how long this link will be up but the article is a great summary of everything that's been going on here:  http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/12/07/16466221.html

And finally, we got to our retirement home gigs yesterday and today because we weren't about to cancel on the residents for their Christmas parties!  Our Messiah rehearsal for tonight was cancelled though, and that was probably a wise decision even though the snow has temporarily stopped.

No comments: