Saturday, January 01, 2011

At least they knocked...

...instead of ringing the bell at 8:45 p.m. tonight.

Ben opened the door to two ladies.  Despite our outdoor light being off, they had knocked on our door.  "Hello, my friend and I share blah blah blah something Jesus blah blah blah," the one lady said.  I was in the office and called out fairly loudly, "We're Jewish, we're happy, Ben would you please close the door now?!"

Yes, I know that was perhaps not the best way to handle it, but really?  Who knocks on someone's door on New Year's Day at almost 9 p.m. when the light is OFF?  I think we need a glow-in-the-dark mezuzah to scare them off or something, although with our luck that would probably just attract more of them.

Next time maybe I'll invite them in to discuss why we don't believe that Jesus was the Messiah.  That could make for some interesting discussion.  I doubt I'd do it though.  It's not as if I would change their minds, nor would that be my goal. 

Now the Costco lady?  I'd like to have a discussion with her.  I don't believe that I have blogged about this one yet.  Last week while Ben was in Toronto, I took the girls to Costco.  We were in the checkout and the lady taking care of the carts looked at Rachel and said, "So did Santa come?"  Rachel gave the lady a blank look.  I was a bit frazzled already due to the crowds and the girls being on the cranky side, so I just said, "Actually, we don't celebrate Christmas."  I didn't give a reason why.  The lady thought for a moment and then said in a puzzled voice, "No Santa?"  "Nope.  We don't celebrate Christmas." I replied with a cheerful smile.  She gave me a look that was somewhere between bewilderment and a glare (Seriously! She looked almost angry that we don't celebrate Christmas.  Don't get me started...) but said nothing further.

No comments: