
So we did end up taking Rachel trick or treating last night, although Ben and I are fairly certain that we won't be doing it again. We got into a discussion about how it's totally not a Jewish holiday, and if we're planning on keeping a kosher household then how is it rational or reasonable to send our kid begging at strangers' doors for candy!?!? Rachel would still get to dress up for Purim in the spring, so it's not like she'd be losing a dress-up opportunity. In fact, I'm hoping that her elephant costume will still fit her in March!
In any case, Rachel did love trick or treating. She refused to say "trick or treat" but she politely said thank you at every house, and she said "yes" whenever she was asked if she wanted another candy. When we got home, I told Rachel that she could have one treat tonight. I left soon after for my choir rehearsal. When I got home, I found out that Rachel tried to trick Ben into giving her another treat:
R - "Dad, I want another treat."
Ben - "No, you already had one. That's all for tonight."
R - "Want YOU to have a treat."
Ben thinks this is pretty generous so he agrees, and starts sorting through the options.
Ben - "Can I have this?"
R - "No."
Ben - "This?"
R - "No."
Ben - "This."
R - "Want Dad to SHARE it with me!"
HA!
3 comments:
So, what are the spiritual (and practical) implications and benefits of keeping a kosher home?
You can point me to web sites if that's easier. ;-)
Oh sure, make me think hard after doing 6 loads of laundry and vacuuming every fabric and carpet surface in the entire apartment! LOL. I'll IM you.
Okay, you can IM me. But I refuse to log on tonight because I need to go to bed soon!
Post a Comment