Sunday, June 07, 2009

Waiting for the ball to drop...

We had houseguests on Friday night. They have a daughter who is only 6 weeks younger than Anna, so the two toddlers wore each other out! Anna slept from 7:30-6:30 with only 2 "wake-ups" - the first was at 2:30 and required a little cuddling, but the second was just a random scream at 5 a.m. We've come to realize that she almost always will settle down to sleep after a few minutes of random "test" screams. Hehe. However, I don't think that she would have been able to do so much before this point. She really did (and sometimes still does!) need us to soothe her and help her get to bed.

Yesterday afternoon we headed out on our big Colorado trip. We drove to Hays, KS, where we spent the night. I will say that the McDonalds right off of the highway has an awesome play area. That's about all I have to say about Hays. The drive there was pleasant - pretty country, not at all what we'd expected.

Anna slept straight from about 9:45-6:30 in the hotel, and Rachel only got up at 7:30 because I started opening curtains and noisily packing things! We were on the road at 8:04, only 4 minutes after I'd hoped to leave.

We resisted the temptation to go see the 5-legged cow and the world's largest prairie dog somewhere on the I-70, but we did get off at Burlington, Colorado in hopes of seeing an old restored carousel. It wasn't open when we drove through the town, but it was fun driving around anyway!

We got to Denver by about 1:30 p.m. It started raining about 5 minutes after that, and then the hail began. I told Ben that if we saw locusts next, I was out of there...

I'd spent a good portion of the trip perusing the CAA (ok, AAA but let's go with force of habit, shall we?) trip brochure. We decided to stop at the Babi Yar Park which was supposed to be a memorial to those who perished just outside of Kiev, Ukraine. Since it was raining, we didn't take the girls out. We took turns going to see the monument.

There was supposed to be a Jewish museum nearby, but apparently some people don't accurately update their (2009!) maps and we were unable to find it. After a thorough internet search tonight, we now know where it is and might go tomorrow. We'll see.

After driving around, we ended up at the Denver Museum of Science and Nature. We all had a great time there. Anna loudly said "Hi!" and waved enthusiastically to all the (not living) animals in the displays. Rachel was thrilled to see that there was an Africa section complete with a few elephants of course.

Tonight we got to the hotel at around 6 p.m. We put both girls to bed at 7:45 and haven't heard a peep since then. (We booked a suite for tonight - too bad Priceline doesn't give me that option or we'd do it more often!)

We're off to Beaver Creek tomorrow and Rachel starts her penny whistle class on Tuesday. This should be amusing.

No comments: