Wednesday, November 04, 2009

More from the trenches

Yesterday I cooked a "nice" meal for lunch since Ben has rehearsals every night this week and he was taking pasta with him for dinner. I filled all of the water glasses at the beginning of the meal as I always do.

About halfway through eating, Rachel reached for her water glass which was empty. I told her sternly to pay attention and that there was no point picking up her water glass because there was nothing in it.

"But why didn't you give me any water?" she asked.

"I did. You drank it." *stifled laughter from both adults at the table*

Yes, I gave her a refill.

*****************************************************************************

Last night after the girls went to bed, I finally took on the arduous task of cleaning up the playroom. I sorted (read: purged) the toys and by the end of the night, the room was looking much cleaner. We just won't talk about the large bin of stuff in the basement waiting to be donated somewhere!

When the girls got up this morning, neither one had anything to say about it, but I noticed that they both played happily with various toys. I think that Rachel was pleased to see her little Strawberry Shortcake dolls after such a long absence, and Anna had plenty of space to dump things and generally create disasters in her wake.

Since Rachel has a "late" (4:15-5:30) Kindermusik class on Wednesdays, we didn't really have time for the girls to clean up the playroom before they went to bed. I went in there a little while ago, figuring that it would only take a few minutes to sort things out.

I hadn't banked on Anna playing a little game of hide-and-seek with the pieces from her new, beloved chunky transportation puzzle. The police car and boat were in a corner of the playroom behind Rachel's old carseat. The train engine turned up in a bin of Little People and toy cars, while the airplane was found in a bin of Build-a-Bear clothes. The (rather large) school bus and fire engine are still at large. I suspect that they may have been tossed into the blocks bin, but I'm not about to dump it to find out!

While searching for the elusive puzzle pieces, I was amused to find a foam bath shark in Anna's ball popper. Tempting though it was, I refrained from pushing the button to see if the shark would shoot up and out accompanied by irritating melodies. I'll save that for the morning instead.

No comments: