Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Voyeuristic?

Sometimes Ben and I chuckle over how voyeuristic the concept of a blog really is. Let's face it - it allows people to have a window into our lives without actually needing to pick up the phone or email us. Good deal, eh?

Well, yes and no. I enjoy blogging. I get a kick out of writing down funny things the kids do, and I have to assume that our friends and family enjoy it as well. (Otherwise I suppose that my audience is fairly limited!)

The thing with blogging is that it's not a daily diary of events. We get to pick and choose which events to write about and which ones don't really need a mention. I highly doubt that anyone needs to hear about how we almost said Shehecheyanu upon spotting our first groundhog in a neighbouring backyard yesterday, or about how the truck driver's truck had a broken wheel that caused him to have to delay delivery of his Mississauga load.

I don't always take the time to blog. That's life. Just like we don't talk to every person we know on the phone every day or send an email to everyone in our address books on a regular basis, I don't always document every happening here.

I know people who are on Twitter and I will readily admit that I don't (yet?) see the attraction of that site. I enjoy Facebook, but primarily as a means of keeping up with my friends. Instant messaging? Bring it on! Texting? Not likely, especially after I once texted a friend of mine with the one-liner "canyouhelpme" because I couldn't figure out the spaces or the punctuation on our archaic non-QWERTY cell phone!

Anyway, don't be surprised if sometimes I blog a lot and sometimes I don't. I might be elsewhere on the internet or *gasp* reading a book or playing with the kids. I might even be cleaning the house although I wouldn't hold your breath on that one!

No comments: