Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I am Jane

It occurred to me this morning that I probably should book a rental car for our trip to Kansas City next week. We are flying in next Wednesday, and Ben will be there until October 7th writing exams. I come home September 30th. Rachel gets to visit all of her grandparents during this time! Yay for grandparents!

I was looking on Expedia despite my dislike of the company, and I found a car for $338 taxes in from Thrifty. This is the cheapest that I have seen yet. I was about to book it, but at the same time I was also chatting online with my friend J who happens to live in my least favourite state of Iowa.

She mentioned that I should really try Priceline to get a better deal on a car. I explained my concerns that I couldn't choose my rental company that way. Remember, I have vowed to NEVER rent from Hertz again. In fact, I still say they owe me $40 from the exchange rate issues regarding the charge and delayed refund from our Texas minivan rental back in May. J assured me that she has never gotten Hertz and she didn't think I would, because Hertz is really expensive.

So I entered a nice lowball figure of $10/day. With taxes in, this would be $272 for a savings of $66. Thinking about all the fun things we could do with $66 extra, I hit "search". A short moment later, my offer was accepted on Priceline.

The company? HERTZ.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

For those of you who may not know, Priceline reservations are non-refundable. I am not terribly impressed at the moment although I do see the humour in the situation. Regardless, the car is booked and we saved money. I pity the poor soul at the Hertz rental counter if there are any problems though.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Jane, I have sad news (I know you'll be devastated - crushed even), but we are leaving town on Tuesday and won't be back until 10/6. For some reason, until I saw this post, I thought you were coming out this weekend, so we could squeeze in a visit before we left. :-( I was even about to email you to see what we could set up.

Anonymous said...

Well, look at it this way. You saved $66 which was sort of like getting your $40. :P