Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Where is my kid?

This morning Rachel and her class went on a field trip to Appleland. Ben went along as a driver, mostly because we had issues with either providing a booster or carseat for someone else to install in their vehicle. (Don't get me started on carseat safety. Just don't.) They got to ride on a train and pick 6 apples each. Despite her initial reluctance, Rachel wore her Gan Gani (preschool) shirt and had a great time!

This afternoon it was time for gym class. Rachel has been pretty reluctant about participating, but I told her that we'd go give it one last try today. She wanted nothing to do with the activities on the mat at the beginning, so I talked her into going into the class when they moved to "stations" for the equipment work. As soon as Rachel saw the kids heading for the wall, she told me, "I think it's time for me to go in now!"

She stayed in for the whole class and participated happily for the whole time! I saw Rachel walk on the big balance beam and do "straddle rolls". She tried pretty much everything! This is the first class in months where she was willing to DO the activities. To my amusement, she came running out of class at the end and shouted, "I actually stayed in for the whole class!" (I should note that I'm not wild about the gym's laissez-faire policy where they don't seem to mind if kids come in and out of the room depending on their comfort level. From my perspective, once Rachel goes in she's in.)

This bodes well for trick or treating tonight. As I type, Rachel is in her room excitedly concocting some wild adventure with her toys and elephants. She is very eager to put on her costume and go get candy. I pointed out that we probably won't go to a lot of houses, to which she retorted that "LAST YEAR we went to lots of houses!" To be fair, last year involved a lot of walking since we went to a neighbourhood with huge houses so they weren't all that close together.

I think that we are going to go to the mall tonight for their trick or treat program. Then again, it's still ridiculously warm out so maybe it won't be so bad outside. Since Rachel still has a nasty cough I don't really want her outside at night if it turns cold and windy. Stay tuned for Halloween updates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We walked for two hours straight tonight. And I had to carry Sela home on my back the last half of the journey. But she got a lot of loot (half of a shopping bag full!) and had a ball running around with three of her girl cousins. :-) At one point she was moving pretty slowly, due to tired legs, and she told me, "My feet are dizzy!"

I'll blog it eventually, but I think I need to sleep for two days first. I haven't walked 2-3 miles in a single day in ages...