This morning Anna was up at 5 a.m. By 8:15, she looked exhausted, so I put her in her crib where she stayed for about an hour. I'm not sure how long she slept, but she was mostly quiet so I also semi-snoozed my way through an episode of Dora the Explorer.
By 9:30, both kids were on the couch watching Diego. Anna was hungry, so I offered her leftover pizza but she kept insisting, "Ban! Ban!" (banana). When I asked if she wanted a banana, she gave me a huge grin and nodded.
She's had bananas plenty of times before, so I didn't think anything of it. Today she got a piece stuck and started choking to the point where she was turning blue. I tried everything I knew, but banana is a soft food and it just was not working. I saw someone outside the neighbour's house, so I went outside with Anna. It turned out to be the water guy, and he asked me if I wanted him to call 911.
By this point, I was pretty sure that Anna was ok, but she was still doing that shuddering, gasping cry, and I could still feel something in her throat that wouldn't go up or down. So he called, and the paramedics and a police car showed up at our house. Fun times. Of course she was perfectly fine as soon as they showed up, so I felt like an idiot for wasting their time.
I was surprised to hear them say that I should have called them first. I assumed that I should try to get her to cough it up and only call if it really wasn't going anywhere. One of the paramedics told me that techniques have changed a lot in the past few years, especially regarding babies and choking.
Anna is fine. She is understandably rather angry, but who wouldn't be angry after being whacked, having fingers stuck down the throat, and being poked and prodded by strangers? She's currently napping, and at this point it looks like we will miss our first Kindermusik class of the year.
And of course there is no chocolate or caffeine in the house... I wonder what I'm doing when Ben gets home!??!
No comments:
Post a Comment