Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I really should know better

This morning I took the girls to the bank. Instead of using the convenient, silent & trustworthy bank machine, I went into the bank. Why? For various reasons, I needed to obtain a money order in Canadian funds. Apparently asking for that was akin to speaking Greek. "I don't think we can do that. We don't have Canadian money orders."

Me: "What? Really? I just need to get a money order in Canadian funds. Can you tell me where I can get one?"

Bank lady: "No, I don't know." *goes to ask another employee* "We can possibly order something in but it will be expensive and it will take at least 4 days."

Me: "No, never mind. You really don't know where I can get a Canadian money order?"

I didn't realize that BANKS weren't equipped to deal with currency requests!!! And yes, I realize that I am not in a border state. But still... to not even know? Surely some people from Kansas travel out of the country and want foreign funds before they depart. Surely some people do business in foreign countries and occasionally need to use something other than Pay Pal. Or perhaps I am truly naive.

At home, as far as I understand it, I can either go to the bank or I can go to the handy-dandy currency exchange place in the mall where I once obtained a gig's worth of pesos to pay a friend as a joke. I do not recall seeing such a place in the mall here, so to the bank I went.

Now I do understand that the post offices here sell money orders, but it also implies that said money orders can be cashed at the post office of the receiving country. That will not work for my needs. I am loath to go to the post office myself with this request since it seems that ignorance abounds. I might send poor, unsuspecting Ben later on. Yes, I think that would be best. I'm currently not capable of politeness in the face of stupidity.

(Yes, I am a stranger in a strange land. Yes, I should be polite. But you know what? It's not the lack of ability to carry out my request that annoyed me. It was the disinterest, and lack of assistance to find a solution that currently have me riled up. Fine, you can't give me a money order in Canadian funds. How about suggesting somewhere that can?!!??!?)

No comments: