Sunday, January 17, 2010

Reading time

This morning Anna consented to reading a book with me. Lately, even at bedtime she insists on doing it herself. "No Mommy I NOT read with you. I do myself!" It doesn't matter to me. Sometimes she shows Olly and Ducky the pages, and sometimes they read to her in their very distinctive voices that everyone in the family has learned to produce.

Her book of choice was a lift-the-flap book. Several pages in, the question "Who's in the stable?" was asked. Anna lifted the door flap to find a horse and announced, "That's a horse in the bathwoom!" No matter how many times I tried to explain to her that it was in a stable, she insisted that it was in the bathroom.

A few pages later on, we found a bull hiding behind a red blanket. Like most bulls, this one sported a lovely nose ring. Once we ascertained that it was indeed a bull and not a cow, Anna gleefully yelled "It's a bull with a sucky!" I admit that the nose ring does bear a strong resemblance to her beloved Sucky.

She's a funny age right now. She's fully aware of just how funny she is and what's more, she's got a good sense of humour. Tonight on the way home from an outing with Ben and Rachel, she started fake snoring and told Ben, "I sleeping, Daddy!" She's obviously picked this up from Rachel who pulls this trick all the time.

Unfortunately, Anna is also in the bossy phase of life. At lunchtime, she said sternly, "Daddy, you get back in your chair right now!" when Ben got up to get something. Ha! I bet that Rachel was pleased to not be the one chastised for that particular offense for once. ;)

No comments: