Monday, February 12, 2007

Van update

Oh joy, oh bliss. The engine light has been back on since Saturday night, so Ben took it in this morning to get it looked at. Why yes, our transmission needs to be replaced. How lovely. *insert adjectives of choice here*

The person at the dealership checked into it, and because it's a Canadian car, they need to order in the part. The only one they can get is a remanufactured transmission for, oh, $2900 before tax. Not sure if that included labour or not. I would hope so...

Crap. Crap. Crap. I do not even think our van is worth $2900US. Ok, it's probably worth $5K-ish right now. But still... we're basically screwed. We can't drive it 1500km north to get it fixed or sell it. We can't sell it here. We can't buy or lease a new car here.

I have to say, this is probably one of the first times in our married life where Ben and I are both just not seeing any good solutions. GRR.

I think I'll go have some chocolate now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you get a second opinion/price quote? Oh wait, they probably all use the same computer, huh? And you probably have to use a Honda dealership. I'm sorry. :( :(

Jane said...

We don't have to use the Honda dealership. We're going to get another quote from a mechanic that has locations in Canada, although the closest is 1.5 hours from us. We're just not sure that it's worth sinking $2K (in US dollars especially!) or more into the van at this point. I've found research that points to Odysseys having lots of transmission problems, at least the older ones... GRR.