Saturday, December 20, 2008

Food

Americans like food. Perhaps a little too much. I forgot to mention that at the church gig last week, they provided a fully catered breakfast - bagels, cream cheese, strawberries complete with chocolate sauce to dip them in, other fruit, cheese, chocolate, candy, pop, cups with crushed ice, coffee, cinnamon rolls, other cookies & cakes, etc. That was just at rehearsal!

In between the sound check and morning service on Sunday, there was breakfast again. This time it also included Christmas-themed Krispy Kreme donuts. I admit to being very disappointed that my snowman donut did not have a tasty filling. Before you think that I'm shallow, my friend experienced and commented on the same disappointment with his donut. ;)

The irony with this breakfast was that the offering taken during the service was going to feed the hungry. Seriously, why not feed us a much scaled-down version of breakfast and really use money to feed the hungry?

And while we're at it, White Christmas is not an offering song. "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas..." (psst, pass the collection plate!) Nor is it generally appropriate in church to have a snow machine dumping piles of snow on the choir members who are singing White Christmas while the plate is being passed around the congregation. In my opinion, it makes it a little hard to take anything seriously under those circumstances. (I admit to chuckling when I remembered that White Christmas was written by a Jew. But I'm evil like that.)

Of course, I intend no offense to any of you who may attend similar houses of worship. Really.

No comments: