This afternoon I finally decided that I should get my violin out and look at the music for Christmas Eve. We were required to sign contracts saying that we would show up with "full knowledge of our instrument and music." While I doubt that there will be a quiz on parts of the violin, I had noticed that there were a lot of high notes in my part, so out of the case came the violin and bow.
Before starting, I set Anna up with a couple of shakers and bells so that she could play along. She loved every minute of it, except the times when she fell over and couldn't figure out how to get back up.
Rachel was whining that she needed to practise her piano tunes and didn't like it when I told her that she could play at the same time as I played my violin. "But your music will mess up my tune because it's not the same!" I told Rachel that she could wait in that case. She didn't like that either.
Before I started, I went to tune my violin. Since our piano was tuned yesterday (finally, after probably 4 years of not being tuned!), I asked Rachel if she remembered where Aardvark was on the piano. "I think so," she said, and promptly found the correct key - A440! I was quite impressed. It also made my life easier since I didn't have to make the effort to play it myself. She even repeated it over and over while listening to me tune, without my asking her to do that.
While I played, Rachel danced around the studio in between asking me over and over if I was done yet. When I finished, Rachel told me that it was too late for her to practise because now she had forgotten her tunes. Since she just makes up stuff at the piano, I wasn't too concerned!
We ended up getting out some Jewish songbooks and Rachel showed off how she's ready to sing the blessings for lighting the candles in the menorah tomorrow night. She sings quite nicely on pitch too. Too bad Ben will be at Nutcracker and will miss all the action tomorrow night.
No comments:
Post a Comment