Since April, Rachel has been going to a weekly parent-child art class at ArtVenture, an art studio literally around the corner from us. Although she loves the class and the teacher, she has indicated many times that she wouldn't want to do it without us.
Her last day of preschool was today, and I was really hoping to convince her to try at least one activity *without* us this summer. The art studio is running half-day camps for several weeks during the summer, and I have been trying to talk it up to Rachel without much success.
This week, she changed her mind and told me that she wants to go to art camp! We talked about how it would be just like pre-school in that I would drop her off and pick her up, but grown-ups didn't get to come in and have all the fun, only the kids did. We said that we would call the art studio and find out exactly what would happen at art camp, and who the teachers would be.
Today Ben called and got lots of information. Rachel is so excited, it's ridiculous. Art camp would terrify me, but not Rachel!
We're tentatively registering her for afternoons (1-4pm) the first week of camp which is also the same week that Ben and I teach at a local music camp. Any grandparents reading this blog can thank us at any time for ensuring that they won't be responsible for watching a 4-year-old and a baby all day!
They're going to let Rachel try it out the first day and if she likes it, she'll continue all week. I'm not telling Rachel that though. She thinks she's already signed up to go all week. The art teacher has also offered to continue on with one-on-one art lessons over the summer. (Her group class has 4 kids registered but she's been the only one there for the past 2 weeks & she's loved it!)
When I asked Rachel about one-on-one art lessons, she said it sounded fun but she's decided to go to art camp for all 3 weeks! I told her we'd take it one week at a time. I hope she does end up enjoying it. We purposely picked the afternoon session because there are currently only 6 kids enrolled as opposed to the 12 kids in the morning session.
No comments:
Post a Comment