Ben's grandfather's funeral was yesterday. Although his death was something that I think was not entirely unexpected, that doesn't necessarily make it any easier to cope with now that it's a reality. It's been a hard year for a lot of people. Too many deaths too close to home.
I've always been fascinated with the Jewish custom of sitting shiva (not shitting shiva as my father-in-law apparently said by mistake this morning! Yes, Lance, I will edit that out if you would like me to.). Judaism forces mourners to step back and take a break from life, so to speak. Time to reflect, think, remember and also time to pick up the pieces and carry on. Work is forbidden for the first week. Family & friends come together to bring meals and ensure that the mourners are taken care of and not alone during this time. Kaddish is said.
I will admit to not having gotten to know Ben's grandfather as well as I perhaps would have liked to. However, I saw him as a strong man who had not only a great sense of humour, but also a great ability to draw people close and forge relationships with them. (Is that paradoxical of me to say since I just admitted to not thinking I knew him that well?)
I'm sad that Anna will not have the chance to personally know her Zadie (or her Bubbie Rae for that matter) - I suppose she'll learn about them through the memories of others. Rachel has some memories of her Bubbie Rae, and only 1 or 2 of her Zadie. Whether or not her memories are real or from seeing photos and hearing stories, I don't know. I do know that she enjoyed the time that she spent with Zadie playing ball.
Rachel didn't ask much at all yesterday. This is the 3rd funeral that Ben has been to this year, and the 2nd for the rest of us. I guess that Rachel is just accepting it in the innocent way that only children can. She made flower pots for her cousins, aunts, uncles, grandma, grandpa & Bubbie to make them feel better - I had explained to her that people would be sad at the funeral but that perhaps she could cheer them up. She took this role very seriously and we worked hard together to make the flowers for the pots.
No comments:
Post a Comment