Last night Ben and I had our joint concert for the adult and kids string orchestra programs that we've been running all year. I decided to just leave Anna with our sitter so that I could bring Rachel along with us.
We dropped Ben off to teach Kindermusik just after 5 p.m. I then proceeded to drag a 4-year-old, almost-4-month-old in a stroller, and a shopping cart through the Superstore to pick up pop, cookies & a veggie tray for the after-concert reception. Rachel helped me set the cookies out on the trays (and only ate 1, I think!) and then we picked up our sitter and went home briefly to get Anna settled.
When we got back to the church, Ben was rehearsing with the orchestra while we set up a few more things. Rachel was very concerned about where she would sit, so I told her that I would reserve her a seat. We made a paper sign that said "Reserved" on it, and Rachel placed it on the chair she wanted. (Incidentally, her chosen seat was the 3rd chair in the front row.)
We headed out to pick up the pizzas (and garlic sticks for Rachel, the kid who won't touch pizza!). When we got back, Rachel insisted on sitting in her "reserved" chair to wait for her food to cool down.
She sat quietly through the whole concert even though neither of us was with her. I don't think she knew the people on either side of her and it didn't seem to phase her at all!
At the end of the concert, I was up at the front talking when Rachel interrupted me:
"Excuse me, are you done yet? I have a question!"
*cue audience laughter*
"I liked the Nitalian Trumpeter best. That's because it sounded like an elephant!"
(Italian Trumpeter, but she was pretty close!)
She paid close attention to everything. Ben, Heather & I played Golliwog's Cake-Walk at the very end of the program. Afterwards, Rachel asked if our piece was about cake. She also told me that she liked the high parts and it would be good if I played it at home for her so that she could dance to it.
We got home to a sleeping baby. All in all, it was a great night!
(We'll discuss the pending offer on our house later.)
No comments:
Post a Comment