Friday, January 11, 2008

Murphy's Law

1. I no longer fit into my black gig pants. This is clearly why I got a call the other day asking me to play with Orchestra London next week. Since I'm obviously subbing for someone as opposed to having been hired in the first place, I'm amused that I will be playing the concerts in black cords. I'm even more amused that when Ben went to pick up our music this morning, there was no second violin music in the orchestra office. I guess I'll be unprepared and underdressed for this one!

2. Our power went out for 4 hours this afternoon, as did the power in much of northwest London. This meant that what should have been a simple afternoon trip to Costco to pick up a rotisserie chicken (keep in mind that we have no freezer and the loaner fridge is tiny!) turned into a 1.5 hour ordeal of navigating city streets without working traffic lights hoping to find a grocery store that had power. I was eventually successful at the Byron A & P. However, the drive home took 37 minutes. It should have taken 10-12 at most. Oh well.

In other news, Sears had arbitrarily scheduled our fridge repair for next Monday morning, but they weren't planning to call and tell us this. I asked Ben to call yesterday to find out what was happening and that's what he was told. He managed to get the appointment switched to Tuesday between 12-5pm. Lovely. They also told him that they weren't sure if the part was in yet, but even if it was, there were no appointments left for Friday. Then why would they have ever indicated that fixing it today was a possibility?!?! I dug up our receipt which says that if it can't be fixed they have to refund us the money. If for any reason the part is not in by Tuesday, I think we'll have to push and see what they'll do. Regardless, Ben is NOT driving the loaner fridge all the way back to Pond Mills! (basically the opposite end of London - it's as far southeast as we are northwest)

No comments: