It seems like many parents I know have issues with licensed characters. That, and toys that operate on batteries and therefore make all sorts of annoying noises.
While I agree that in a perfect world we might all play outdoors in a forest learning about nature and entertaining ourselves happily all day long, I just don't think that's the kind of world we live in anymore.
I am certainly not advocating an abolishment of imaginative play and simple creativity without props, but I do think that people can go too far in their attempt to avoid commercialization.
You may remember that when Rachel started to read on her own last year, one of the first books that she got was a My Little Pony book. Do I think it was the best literature available to her at the time? Heck, no! But do I think it was important that she read something relevant and interesting to her at the time? Definitely.
I will admit that Rachel's media literacy is sometimes alarming. She has been known to read the packaging on toys and tell me how we *need* all the rest of the collection, but that conversation ends abruptly each time with the response that she's proving herself to be susceptible to media influence and while she may *want* those things, she doesn't actually need them. Would I be better off banning all characters from my home? Let me think about that.
My own mother wasn't a fan of the current fads of the day. Perhaps I am living vicariously through Rachel when I indulge her fantasy of owning all things My Little Pony. Or perhaps I am still really bitter 23 years later that when I wanted a real Cabbage Patch Doll like all the rest of my friends, my parents instead got me a clay set to make your own Cabbage Patch figure. Um, not the same. Sorry, Mom!
That said, let me assess the licensed characters in my home. Rachel went through a long Dora phase so she does own an adorable Dora dress, lego blocks (sale at Costco, need I say more!?), some books (of which my favourite is "Dora Takes a Hike"), a Dora doll, and I think that's it.
We have some Disney princess items - a Cinderella backpack (clearance at the Disney Store and it's on its 3rd year of use!), some baby princess dolls, a few books, and some pjs.
We do have an abundance of My Little Pony paraphernalia, but you should see her playing with them! She is so creative and will happily spend hours telling stories and playing games with the ponies.
While I agree that the Disney princesses send off poor messages in the movies, we don't watch the movies because Rachel is not interested! And if she was, we'd discuss the good and bad parts. "No, Rachel, being half-naked is not the way to a successful and healthy relationship. And for that matter, you can be strong and successful without a man doing everything for you."
Rachel tells me frequently how Barbie dolls don't wear enough clothes. Will I eventually relent and let her get some? Maybe. Or maybe not. We've been eyeing the Groovy Girls dolls lately and I think that just might be the direction we'll go.
Now for the other side. We have umpteen elephants, and hundreds (yes, hundreds) of children's books, most of which are not character-related. We have blocks, dolls (that don't get played with much, ha!), puzzles, games, and way too many other things, I'm sure. So would Rachel's life be enriched if she had a stable full of regular toy ponies rather than the colourful ridiculously named My Little Ponies? (Toola-Roola? Scootaloo? Seriously, was everyone on crack in the '80s!?)
We don't run out and buy all the licensed character items, but we don't live in a bubble either. Rachel's not that interested in tv shows and movies although she's recently started watching Little Bear, Franklin and Berenstain Bears again.
Now on to noisy toys. With Rachel, we avoided toys that made noise for most of her first year. Until we got her activity table, I'd say that most if not all of her toys required more effort on her/our part than simply pushing a button. Anna loved the noisy toys though, and quite frankly, anything that kept her occupied for more than 10 seconds was a true blessing to us at times! As I look down at Anna's toys strewn about the floor (who has time to play when you're busy cruising?!) I see a mix. We have stuffed animals, rings, blocks, soft toys, her beloved ball-popping singing train, and of course there is always a sucky or two to be seen.
I'm sure I have much more to say, but I need to go get ready to take the girls to storytime at the library where no, there will likely be no character books!
1 comment:
groovy girls are a lot of fun. We also like Only Hearts Club dolls - for when Rachel is a bit older (the clothes, like a barbies, can be hard to put on and take off for littles)
Post a Comment