Sunday, January 11, 2009

New career?

Lately I've become rather obsessed with clearing out things on E-bay. It's a nice way to make some extra money, or as Ben says, it's a nice way for me to justify buying new things online! Either way, selling things we're done with is a good thing to do.

Last week I purchased a crib bumper from a rather fancy store for $9.99 marked down from $59.99. I promptly sold it on E-Bay for $25.00 + shipping. I was pleased, especially since this particular pattern hadn't been selling consistently. Fees were ranging from $10 to $40 so as usual, I priced mine right in the middle.

A few days later, I couldn't resist going back to the same store. I purchased another crib bumper, this time in a fancier pattern with a bigger pricetag. I paid $24.97. The original price was $89.99. Some sellers on E-Bay were getting $84.95 including shipping, so I priced mine at $75.00 since other sellers weren't getting any action on the same bumper. Lo and behold, mine sold tonight! After shipping, E-Bay fees and PayPal fees, I believe that I will still have made about $40 in sheer profit!

Too bad I sprained my ankle badly, or I'm sure I'd be right back at that store tomorrow morning looking for more clearance items.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

That's cool Jane! I should do that too ;-) I used to sell on ebay a lot - I would do garage sales though - my deal was jr. clothes, and I would pick up trendy stuff, like abercrombie, at garage sales for like a dollar and turn around and sell it for $25 or whatever.

Jane said...

No, you can't do it too! ;) LOL. I don't think I'll make a huge habit of it or anything, but it is nice especially in the winter when our work tends to dry up anyway.