Sometimes people will ask me what's different about Canada? As in, how is it really so different from living in the US? I tend to answer this way:
"Do you remember the Highlights magazines with the two pictures in them? The object was to spot the differences. On the surface, both seem identical. But as you look more deeply, you can see many differences."
Yesterday, Ben and I stopped by the violin shop on the way to our gig so that we could drop off our bows to be rehaired. (Yes, I have a spare bow, and Ben got a loaner bow. We didn't pluck the entire gig, although that would have been entertaining, I'm sure!)
There are a couple of businesses adjacent to the violin shop. The first is a gunsmith. There was a big sign in the window that read, "We don't want your socialism here!" My jaw dropped open. Yes, I realize that a gun shop of any type is not likely to welcome more gun control, gun registry, etc, but I guess I'm still a little stunned by the vehemence expressed by many citizens here. The term socialism is also widely applied to "Canadian" health care, which I've noticed Americans refer to as socialised or nationalised health care (Yes, I'm using the British/Canadian spelling. That's my prerogative!). "How do you like your socialised health care?" Um, I like it just fine, thank you very much. When I am in Canada, I am not worried about being in medical debt. Nor do I worry about being shot at or whether or not my friends have guns in their homes.
But I digress slightly. Next to the gunshop was another business; I don't remember exactly what it was, but there were signs in the window that read, "Patrons and employees are likely to be armed."
While there are things I enjoy down here, I will readily admit that we are more than ready to go home. Home where the only people with guns are cops, criminals and hunters. Home where we don't worry about paying for Ben's Crohns' treatments and I can give birth without going into debt. Home where people know who the prime minister is and that we use the Canadian dollar as currency. Home where people actually expect their goverment to make a positive difference in their lives. *Please note that I'm not even close to suggesting that Harper is capable of doing this! But I do expect a decent education, access to health care regardless of income, and yes, I expect that guns are a rarity, not a necessity.
I'm not interested in negative comments, by the way. Our countries were founded on very different principles. It therefore should come as no surprise that the US and Canada are so fundamentally different despite supposed outward appearances.
No comments:
Post a Comment