Monday, June 11, 2007

The kitchen people are funny

When we met with the person at the kitchen place last summer to choose cabinets and counters, we were told to e-mail him the dimensions of our appliances. In October, we sent off an e-mail outlining the dimensions of our microwave.

Much to our surprise, when we moved in last month, we found that the shelf was too small to accommodate our mammoth microwave. We commented on this to the person who came out to install our pantry shelves and he made a note on our file.

Today Ben received a call from the kitchen people offering us one of two solutions:

a) They will replace the cabinets & counter with the appropriate sized shelf

or

b) They will buy us a new microwave and install lighting under the cabinets for free.

Hmm. Which option do you think we plan on picking, especially since this would give us both meat and dairy microwaves?!?!?! We checked with the salesperson at the model home and she confirmed that the cabinet lighting usually runs about $700-800. She also commented that we wouldn't necessarily have an exact match if we changed cabinets since it wouldn't be from the same lot.

So things are slowly coming together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been wondering...do you have to have separate refrigerators for meat and dairy or can they share the same one? And what about ovens and stovetops? You mentioned needing separate meat and dairy microwaves, which is how I got to wondering.

Jane said...

I don't need separate microwaves but it would make it easier, ie. I wouldn't have to always cover one type of food in the microwave. I have separate shelves/drawers in the fridge. As for the oven, two would be ideal but we have one so there's a wait time in between using it for different types of food. As for stovetop, I'm using separate sides currently and just making sure that nothing other than pot/pan bottoms actually sits on the stove.